Embracing Risk and Failing ForwardMay 15, 2018
11:30am - 1:00pm
Presented by the Women’s Business Council
Join us to learn about how we can benefit from taking risks both in our personal lives and in the workplace. According to the Harvard Business Review, failure is a prerequisite to innovation. Failure-tolerant leaders help people learn to not fear failure and in fact, encourage it. They also create a culture of smart risk-taking, often leading to higher rates of innovation. The term “failing forward” is often comprised of two main concepts:
1. An individual and/or organizational culture embracing risk taking and not being afraid to fail in a smart, risk-taking attempt.
2. If the individual and/or organization does fail in a smart, risk-taking effort, it’s important to learn from that failure in the future.
There are many successful and innovative organizations that embrace this practice. While there are some individuals who have an easier time taking risks, once you understand the benefits you will feel more comfortable with the concept. Join us to hear an engaging group of panelists discuss how they’ve taken risks, failed forward and how you can turn these concepts into action in your life.
- Dr. Beth Malko, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, MVP Health Care
- Antonio Civitella, President and CEO, Transfinder and President and Founder,
New York BizLab
- Jennifer Lawrence, MSW, Founder and Executive Director, SEAT Center
- Cora Schroeter, MBA, Senior Office Manager, Congressman Paul Tonko’s Office
“The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to…failure.” – John C. Maxwell, Failing Forward
All genders welcome
For the month of May, YWCA-GCR is encouraging attendees to bring a new bra with tags to this program and to take part in the Centennial 100 Challenge in support of their 100 year old building with a $10 donation. Your direct support of YWCA-GCR with these donations will help to provide continued hope and positive change to women and children in the Greater Capital Region.
Location:Rivers Casino and Resort Schenectady
1 Rush Street Schenectady , NY